“Multi-tasking” is yet another new term from the marvelous world of technology that is trying to ruin my comfortable little world of me! This time management skill seems to come naturally to the Millennial Generation. Excuse me? I’m still trying to figure out what HTML, MP3, APP, and OMG means? Multi-tasking. Hmmm, I suppose that’s when you’re doing multiple things at once, but my guess is that it means doing “multiple things at once – ALL POORLY!”
Weren’t computers and all this tech stuff supposed to make our lives easier? I think it’s just given us too much to do, too many distractions, and things get done hastily and lousily (is that even a word?). Heck, customer service no longer exists? You don’t even find anyone at a gas station that will fill your tank and wash your windows? This is progress?
Does any one just sit and read a book anymore? A real book? Or, is everyone “multi-tasking” (is there even a hypen in that word?)? My son reads his Kindle, while listening to music, texting his friends, and watching TV at the same time, AND occasionally also doing something on his computer. I’m not amazed — I’m appalled!
Now, here’s my idea of “multi-tasking!” And, it’s not easy. Okay, are you ready? Take notes. Here we go:
1. Turn on the TV (if I can find the remote).
2. Go to the refrigerator and get a beer.
3. Open it.
4. Sit on the couch. Get comfortable.
5. Invite one of my dogs to sit next to me (as long as my wife isn’t around).
6. Put my legs up on the coffee table, with a pillow under them, while carefully balancing the beer and adjusting the dog.
7. Watch “Monday Nite Football.”
Now, that’s MY idea of “multi-tasking!”